YFC reaches young people everywhere, working together with the local church and other like-minded partners to raise up lifelong followers of Jesus who lead by their godliness in lifestyle, devotion to prayer and the Word of God, passion for sharing the love of Christ and commitment to social involvement.
Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful people regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in Christ.
- Widespread Prayer – We deliberately engage lots of Christians to intercede on behalf of the ministry site.
- Loving Relationships – We consistently pursue lost kids & engage them in life-long relationships with Jesus.
- Faithful Bible Teaching – We accurately handle Biblical truth, regularly coaching kids to apply it in their lives
- Collaborative Community Strategy – We intentionally work together with local churches, agencies and other partners to provide sustainable youth and family ministry.
- Adults Who Empower – We strategically develop leaders to reach young people from every people group.
Who We Are
Since 1944, Youth for Christ has had a distinctive history of youth evangelism. In the early 1940s, during World War II, many young men, mostly ministers and evangelists, were holding large rallies in Canada, England and the United States. As the hunger for God’s Word grew it became evident that there needed to be someone to coordinate this movement, providing leadership, strategy, and coordinating speakers, musicians and locations. Beginning in dozens of cities at the end of World War II, YFC quickly organized into a national movement. Billy Graham became YFC’s first full-time staff member.
Starting with Saturday night youth rallies in the late 1940s and early 1950s, YFC’s ministry methodology turned to Bible Clubs in the late 50s and 60s. It was in this period of ministry that the concept of teen to teen evangelism was birthed. Then in the middle sixties and early seventies Campus Life and Campus Life/JV ministries to senior and junior high youth began to be the thrust of YFC ministry. Since that time there have been several ministry models that have been created. Youth Guidance became an avenue in reaching at-risk and institutionalized young people. Teen Moms developed to mentor and equip young mothers with parenting skills as well as the love of Jesus Christ. Urban Ministries reach the millions of young people in our major urban communities, partnering with the church and other organizations. Ministries are tailored to reach youth in urban, suburban, and rural settings.
YFC/USA is a chartered program of Youth for Christ International. Over 1,861 paid staff members and 16,571 volunteers serve in over 100 countries around the world. As a part of the YFC/USA commitment to serve the world, we offer Project Serve which provides overseas short-term mission opportunities. In addition, well over 100 YFC staff members from the U.S. have ministry assignments with YFC programs in other nations as part of YFC/USA’s World Outreach Division. Throughout YFC’s history there has been an unwavering commitment to youth evangelism and biblical Christianity. One of YFC’s slogans over the past fifty years has been “Anchored to the Rock, Geared to the Times”-the message of the gospel will never change and YFC is flexible to creatively communicate this message of hope, grace and love in the context of different cultural settings.
Meet the Team
Andy Lightcap came to faith in Christ at a young age. He was raised in a Christian home and grew up as a pastor’s kid. Through his involvement in a local Youth for Christ group he was challenged to grow deeper in his faith. He attended Nyack College in Nyack, NY where he majored in Bible and Education. While at Nyack, Andy ministered to kids in New York City where God gave him a heart for urban young people. In the summer of 1998 Andy moved up to Schenectady to join the team of Capital District Youth for Christ. In the fall of 2015 Andy took over the position of Executive Director. Andy and his wife Kate have a passion to see kids in the Capital District have a desire to know Jesus Christ as their Lord.
Chief Operating Officer
Kevin Post got involved with YFC as a freshman in high school and God used those four years to lead him into full time ministry with Capital District YFC. During his years in college Kevin volunteered with the Campus Life ministry in Troy and Averill Park and joined the staff team in 1988 after graduation from college. In October of 2015 he stepped into the new role of Chief Operating Officer after serving as the Ministry Development Coach for the previous decade. Before that he led YFC ministry sites in various communities in Rensselaer County and supervised staff in many other counties of the greater Capital Region. Kevin also serves on YFC regional and national teams representing staff from the Capital District and the Eastern States Region. Kevin met his wife Kelly through Campus Life when in high school.
Kevin’s passion is to invest in adults who in turn invest into the lives of youth so that Jesus will be made known.